The Do’s And Don’t Of Suit Accessories
When it comes to male apparel, there is nothing more appealing than well-coordinated suit accessories. Attention to detail when accessorizing can really make or break your overall appearance, and it’s important to know what works and what doesn’t in order to develop a polished sense of style. Choosing the right cufflinks, for example, can make all the difference between a Dapper Don and Disheveled Dan. The right tie can complement a shirt or jacket, providing a pop of color to what might have otherwise been a drab suit. When all the right pieces come together, you can create a look that is impressive while expressing your own unique flair. Here are some tips to help you make your accessories enhance your look:
- Opt for sterling silver cuff links. If you choose to wear cuff links with some color, make sure the color matches or complements your shirt or tie.
- Tie a proper knot for your standard or bow tie. A jumbled knot can give the wrong impression, making you look careless and messy, but a crisp and precise knot will make you look like a boss.
- Choose a pocket square that coordinates well with your suit. A white pocket square is always a safe bet if you are unsure about coordinating color. If you feel comfortable wearing a patterned pocket square, coordinate colors either by accenting or subtle matching. Like your tie, make sure your pocket square is folded properly.
- Consider wearing a watch; it brings character and sophistication to your look. For example, you may consider wearing a stainless steel watch with a business suit to add a sleek and professional finish. If you are going for a more casual and vintage look, you can sport an antique pocket watch to give your suit a hint of old-school style.
- Choose socks with a little pizazz! A splash of color or subtle design can make a statement when you’re wearing a plain or understated suit.
- Mix metals when you wear cuff links. Mixing metals is like wearing a striped shirt and polka dot pants; you’ve got to choose one or the other.
- Match the color of your tie with the color of your shirt. What’s the point of wearing a tie if it’s just going to be camouflaged by your shirt? Your tie is supposed to bring your shirt to life, not blend in with it.
- Wear French cuffs without cufflinks. According to AskMen.com this is one of the most common male fashion faux pas. Many men inadvertently give off a sloppy appearance by rolling up French cuffed shirts or simply leaving the cuffs unfastened. Avoid this fashion blunder by accompanying your cuffs with stylish links.
- Tuck your tie inside your pants. If you want to keep your tie in place, opt for a tie clip. Not only are tie clips a subtle way to prevent your ties from swinging, they are another accessory that can bring character to your suit.
- Neglect your personal style. Think about your individual taste when it comes to men’s suits accessories and what kind of message you want to send with your style. Let your own unique flare shine through with your suit’s accouterments.
There’s no need to feel overwhelmed about choosing the right accessories to accompany your suit, just stay true to your own style while dressing to the formality of the event. Accessorizing becomes routine once you learn and practice the basic do’s and don’ts. If you follow the above suit accessory tips, and use trial and error to find what works for you, you’ll be dressing to the nines in no time!